Thursday, August 8, 2013

Dora Alene Baty Argyle's Birth

On a September day, the 7th to be exact, a very wonderful thing happened to John Gibbs Baty and Lettie Rebecca Stoddard Baty.  They had a pair of twin girls come to join their family of five.  It was in the year 1912.  Doctor Kackley came from Soda Springs, Caribou, Idaho by horse and buggy, a distance of eighteen miles to deliver the babies to my mother.  My birth place was Chesterfield, Bannock, Idaho.  How happy she was when she was able to realize her lifelong dreams had come true.  Twins was one of her life's desires and now it seemed to good to be true.
                My sister weighed three pounds and I weighed three and a half.  We were poor and as babies we gave our mother a great deal of worry.  She finally gave me cows cream and rice water, and my sister's life was saved by a dear old lady named Aunt Ruth Davids.  She was part Indian and nursed my sister until she was strong and healthy.  Our parents decided to call us Ora Norrine and Dora Alene.  I was to be called Ora, but because Carl Loveland got us mixed up when he blessed us I was named Dora Alene.
 
 
(1914 Ora and Dora Baty)
 
Written by Dora Baty August 20, 1950

No comments:

Post a Comment