Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Fire in the Home

From Denece Ann Argyle Perkins
When I was about five I almost lost my mother.  Since there was no electricity on our dry farm, dad bought mom a steam iron to use in place of ones that you had to heat on the coal stove.  Well , anyways, the steam iron blew up and set the room on fire in which my mom was ironing.  All the rest of us were outside.  I decided I wanted a cookie that mom had baked that morning so I went in the house.  By that time mother was sitting on the table, the only spot of  the room that wasn't flaming.  I took one look and ran from the house to my father who was fixing some machinery and told him, "Come quick, mom is burning."  I never saw anyone move so fast.  I bet he set new records in racing the day.  My grandfather Argyle, who was milking cows saw dad running so he fell into a run to.  Somehow, Doyle, my brother had joined us also.  We all grabbed some heavy braided rugs mother had made and beat and beat at that fire.  We finally reached my mother and dad carried her outside and treated her burns which must not have been to severe for she healed without leaving any scars.  We were one thankful family that night and I remember dad getting us together and thanking God for sparing our mother's life.
(1942 Denece Ann Argyle)
 
(1940 Joseph Hyrum Argyle)

No comments:

Post a Comment