Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Flooding in Bancroft

Written by: Doris Alene Argyle Maughan on June 9, 1968
Six months after my marriage, I returned home to stay with my parents while Brent went on a six month Mediterranean Cruise.  It was a very eventful February, 1962.  There was a flood that completely covered the town of Bancroft.  I remember working into the evening and then into the night and early morning hours putting things up higher in the basement as the water began to creep higher and higher on the foundation of the house.  We couldn't imagine the water getting any higher so we couldn't believe the sight that came to our eyes the next morning when the water began to run in the back door and down the steps, filling the basement in a matter of minutes.....completely filling it.  The water stopped on step short of coming into the main floor.  I was ready to give birth to my first child.  The people of Bancroft were so considerate of each other, taking refuge with other families whose homes were spared or taking temporary residence in the school and church.  Some men helped my father evacuate my mother and myself on an implement wagon pulled by a tractor.  We were met about three miles east of Bancroft by Brent's parents, William Guy and Laura Pearl Cornelison Maughan.  We went to stay with them in Ivins on their ranch.  Sure enough, it was a wise move because Pamela Joy was born 14 February 1962.  We call her the "Flood Baby".  I remember the shock and horror and disbelief when I came home from the Caribou Memorial Hospital in Soda Springs, Caribou, Idaho where Pamela was born.  I found mud and silt had soaked belongings and destroyed keepsakes.  My mother's two year supply of food had been stored in the basement.  The wheat had begun to sprout along with beans, rice and other items.  It was completely destroyed.  My mother didn't let this get her down and it wasn't long until she had it all replaced.  This same scene was repeated the next year.  This time there was much damage done to the house.  My  parents spent much time and money repairing walls that separated from the floors and ceilings.  They put a retaining wall of cement completely around their property for protection.   We all held our breaths for years after when February was warm and it began to rain.
(1961 Brent and Alene Maughan Wedding)
 
(1961 Dora and Delbert Argyle)
 
It was during this flood that Dora lost many of her photos from her childhood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment